Clearwater partnered with a painting contractor to perform this $52M rehabilitation of the George C. Platt Memorial Bridge for PennDOT from 2011 to 2014. Opened to traffic in 1951, the Platt Bridge is a through truss bridge that carries 56,000 vehicles per day on State Route 291 over the Schuykill River. The restoration project included painting of the bridge’s steel truss and structural steel underneath the spans to protect them from the elements.
Clearwater’s crews rehabilitated the center truss spans, resurfaced concrete approach spans, repaired structural steel, replaced or improved expansion joints, repaired concrete piers, repaired and replaced guide rail, and replaced damaged pedestrian railings. During construction, the bridge's four lanes were reduced to two; one in each direction. From May 7, 2012, until the scheduled completion of construction in June 2014, trucks and buses weighing more than seven tons or carrying hazardous material were banned from using the bridge to minimize the risk of accidents on one-lane sections.